9 - UNESCO Tour (Sassi di Matera & Alberobello)
Matera, European Capital of Culture 2019 and Unesco Heritage Site, is one of the oldest cities in the world. Its territory preserves old settlements dating back to Paleolithic Age. Matera is the city of Sassi, the original town, developed by natural caves dug into the rock and shaped into even more complex structures, two big natural amphitheater’s: Sasso Caveoso and Sasso Barisano. Visit a cave-house entirely and typically furnished to understand the uses and customs of the inhabitants of the ancient Sassi districts before their abandonment and to a Rocky Church, dating back to the 8th Century, the most important in the history of Matera.
At the end of the walk visit a bakery and tasting of the Matera bread, for its historical and organoleptic qualities, has become an IGP product.
Alberobello in the heart of Murgia dei Trulli, is a World Heritage Site with its 1500 trulli.
Visit to the Rione Monti, the oldest part the city, together with the Aia Piccola district, where Casa Pezzolla stands out, a complex of 15 communicating trulli and now used as the Museo del Territorio, and the Trullo Sovrano, which hosts theatre and concerts. Visit the amazing Church of Sant'Antonio, the only church in the world in Trullo form.
* The experience ends tasting unique and unequivocal products of Puglia, surrounded by an incredible scenery that only a sea view location can offer. The aperitif consists of crunchy taralli and slices of bread stuffed with tomato and olive oil, appetizing local olives, cruditè and salty croissants stuffed with local salami along with an indispensable glass of local wine.
* Aperitif is optional at a location in Monopoli.
Appointment with the participants and departure for Matera
Arrive and guided tour of the city
Tasting of the IGP Matera bread
Free lunch or on request. Free time
Departure for Alberobello
Guided tour of the city UNESCO
Return to the meeting point
End of the experience
THE PRICE INCLUDES
- means of transport car or minivan
- guide in English/Italian language
- tasting IGP Matera bread
- ticket to visit the house-cave
- ticket to the rocky Church
Meeting point: on request
Experience guaranteed for min. 2 pax
Medium/low difficulty level - suitable for adults and children
On request: guide in different Language, aperitif
For more informations about terms and conditions, click here
Every day on request